Tuesday 14 October 2014

Top Ten Tips to Winning Chess (Tip 2)


 Make the best possible move:
When you are considering a move, ask yourself these questions:
  1. Will the piece I'm moving go to a better square than the one it's on now?
  2. Can I improve my position even more by increasing the effectiveness of a different piece?
  3. Does this move help to defend against my opponent's threats?
  4. Will the piece I move be safe on its new square?
    1. If it's a pawn, consider: Can I keep it protected from attack?
    2. If it's another piece, consider: Can the enemy drive itaway, thus making me lose valuable time?

Even if your intended move has good points, it may not be the best move at that moment. Emanuel Lasker, a former world champion, said: "When you see a good move, wait---look for a better one!" Following this advice is bound to improve your chess.

White to move

You're white in this position. Black has just played cxd4 and is temporarily a pawn ahead. What's the best move you can make? Don't be too hasty!


Answer:
White can win his pawn back immediately with a move like 1. Nbxd4. But did you look for a better move? By playing 1. Nc7+, you can win black's queen!

by International Grandmaster Arthur Bisguier






No comments:

Post a Comment